Friday, March 18, 2011

School Aged Program

I worked as an ECE running a school aged program for 1.5 years and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I worked with another teacher with up to 30 children ages 4-10 after school, on days off, and full time during the summer.

Our center was emergent curriculum and I learned a lot from my students. We had various centers set up inside like sensory, art, manipulative, etc but we also did a lot of outdoor play. We made use of local parks and trails and had special guests in frequently. I based my planning off of Gardeners theory of Multiple Intelligences and worked hard to provide the students with activities that catered to this while still being flexible.

When I meet people in person I have a booklet I put together of photos that demonstrate all the skills I learned and wonderful experience I had. However on the internet we have to be so careful what images we post to protect people's privacy.

I have selected a few images that I have taken that do not feature the faces of my students to share with you a little bit of what I did working at this program.

Photobucket
One student had NO FEAR when we visited the Venom show at the local museum!

Photobucket
Lego was loved by boys AND girls at my center. It was their manipulative of choice and they found ways to include it in every aspect of the curriculum! It was not unusual to see giant lego ships and buildings.

Photobucket
Me outside with the class. Teachers modeled healthy sun behaviour by wearing sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and having water bottles.

Photobucket
During my last summer there I taught the students how to fish! It was so much fun and took several weeks to ensure all students had a chance to have a turn.

Photobucket
More of my students fishing!

Photobucket
Our students loved to dig and get messy so we put them to work cleaning out the center
garden


Photobucket
family members of mine lived close to the center and our pets would often get to visit with the students who worked very hard to be respectful of the animals.

I have many more images as well as class movies from my experience at the school aged program that I'd love to show in person.